Monday, July 2, 2012

Emergency Room

 My mother came out to visit a while ago and we had a blast...for the most part.  One day we were so excited to go to Arctic Circle (I go there so much, they know my name and what I order).  After getting Macy and Abraham upstairs, I realized I forgot Abraham's binky, so I ran real quick downstairs to grab it.  As I came up the stairs, I saw Macy holding my mom's medicine holder; you know the kind with the days of the week.  I didn't think that she had gotten anything because all the canisters were closed.  I told my mom and when she came up, she saw one of her pills on the floor and we could tell that it had either been put in Macy's mouth or licked.
 I called poison control in California and they told me that if she had taken one of my mom's blood pressure pills then she would be ok, but if she had taken two then it could kill her.  My mom didn't know how many pills she had in each canister because she had thrown a bunch in while she was on vacation.  We decided to take her to the pediatrician to see if there was anything they could do.  I was trying to avoid the ER if at all possible because we are without insurance at the moment.  They said there was nothing they could do and that we needed to take her to the ER immediately to have her watched for the next 6 hours.
 Well I would MUCH rather be safe than sorry, so we headed to the ER.  They put an oxygen monitor on Macy's toe and they took her blood pressure on her leg.  Macy was NOT a fan and was really scared.  At first she held strong, but after a couple times of them taking her blood pressure she looked at me with the saddest face and just started crying.  My heart ached for the little precious not knowing what was going on.  The last thing she knew, we were headed to play at Arctic Circle.
 After a couple hours of monitoring, they determined that she hadn't swallowed anything and we could go.  Hallelujah!  I would just die if anything happened to either of my precious babies...I need to always watch them and be so careful.
 The experience was very traumatizing for Macy.  She even just recounted the experience to me today.  She tells me how they took her blood pressure and makes the noise of the cuff and then tells me that she had to stay on the bed.   I hope this is one of the only times that I have to be in the ER with one of my babies.


  1. Scarey!! Soo glad she is ok and I have no idea how she was able to sit for even an hour With all that stuff let alone a few!!

  2. She was such a sweet and good girl there.